Repost: Re: Scientific Plotting?

Andrew Cooke andrew at andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk
Thu Jul 22 09:30:31 EDT 1999

In article <7n5fhn$9e5$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
  mhuster at hotmail.com wrote:
[...]
> Plplot: uses stroke fonts, even in postscript output. We cannot get a
> uniform look with matlab produced plots. Bummer. Otherwise it looked
> good. I am afraid when blown up the fonts will look even worse. For
> example. To get a bold font you have to play with pen width and font
> size. Isn't "Helevetica-Bold" easier to specify? Also, it is at a
> developmental (& FORTRAN) deadend. No chance to change things.

[...]
> Pgplot: looks like plplot.

Just thought I'd add that pgplot is pretty much a standard in some
astronomy circles, and is probably used as much via it's perl package
(from Karl Glazebrook) as from Fortran (which, believe it or not, is not
a dead language in the same circles.... ;-)

So, while I don't think it is either OO, or being further developed, it
is in use (and does have it's own particular style which some find quite
attractive)...

(Just in case you are scared it will disappear in a few months, really).

Andrew

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/