GUI's etc: PyGtk on Windows

Travis Oliphant Travis.Oliphant at p98.f112.n480.z2.fidonet.org
Fri Jul 2 04:14:42 EDT 1999

From: Travis Oliphant <olipt at mayo.edu>

Previously I mentioned that Gtk works on any system with an X server,
which is true.

I also want to point out that Gtk is a cross-platform solution
because there is a port of the GDK (the underlying windowing calls that
Gtk uses) for Win32.  You can find a link at http://www.gtk.org

>From what I've read it looks like Gtk was intentionally written on top of
GDK so that a port of GDK would make Gtk available.  The person who wrote
the GDK port to Win32 did it to get the GIMP to run on Windows.
There are screenshots of the result available on the site.

So if someone develops mainly for X and just wants to make sure that it is
not impossible to run on Windows, you can use PyGTK.  In fact a great
program using GTK can be a strong motivator to get the ports of GDK going.

Just some thoughts,

Travis