DOC BUG: os.chdir() (was Re: Simple Qu: Changing directory)

Fred L. Drake fdrake at cnri.reston.va.us
Mon Jul 12 10:20:43 EDT 1999

Aahz Maruch writes:
 > I think I understand how it happened: os.getcwd() is (probably
 > rightfully) documented there, so someone thought os.chdir() belonged
 > there, too.  AFAICT, that's the only mistake in that area of the docs,
 > though I could make a case that os.getcwd() should be moved (or at least
 > have a pointer in "F&D").

Aahz,
  Are you saying that (either of) these are in the wrong place?  The
notion of "current directory" is tied only to the entry in the process
table; should it be documented otherwise?
  The "Process Parameters" section contains functions with provide any
direct access to the process table entry, both queries and changes, so
I think it really is the right place for these two functions.
  I can easily add a textual reference to the right place within the
"Files and Directories" section, but you'll need to explain very
clearly why the descriptions should be moved.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake at acm.org>