Python and Red Hat Linux 6.0

Rob vaton at postoffice.pacbell.net
Mon Jul 26 16:53:20 EDT 1999

When programming in Perl or Python, I am using a header like the
following on an executable file to cause the shell (bash or csh) to run
the scripts as Perl/Python files:
#!/usr/bin/perl   for Perl   and #!/usr/bin/python   for Python. I've
checked and the compilers are located in the appropriate directories. I
keep getting this when I run scripts:
bash: <script name>: command not found. Does Linux support the '#!'
notation in the file header, or do I always have to run the scripts by
explicitly typing in 'perl' or 'python' before the script name?