Python Performance

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Mon Jul 26 06:23:00 EDT 1999

Markus Stenberg wrote:
> Thus I've had great deal of interest in getting the speed up; however,
> speeding up dynamic interpreted languages is nontrivial, especially
> languages as dynamic as Python.

There are various ways to enhance Python's performance. Here
are some links:

	http://www.automatrix.com/~skip/python/
	http://lima.mudlib.org/~rassilon/p2c/

The most trivial trick is to eliminate global lookups by "localizing"
them. Others include turning to C functions (see mxTools on my
Python Pages) or using specialized Python extensions (calls
to builtin functions are noticeably faster than Python function
calls).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                   158 days left