win32 python as a dll?

Mark Hammond MHammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Jul 8 19:03:03 EDT 1999

Scott Wolford wrote in message <37850F5B.F80CB0A7 at enews.nrl.navy.mil>...

>msvcrt.lib and the application can't then bring in msvcrtd.lib. I do think
>this is a problem because python15_d.lib is provided but no python15_d.dll
>is. I would think you'd provide (at the very least) python.lib linked with
>msvcrt.lib, and python_d.lib linked with msvcrtd.lib (and the dlls), or
>(to be really nice :) all four combinations.

The main reason we dont is size - we would need to ship the _d, and for
people to really use it, also the .pdb.  These add too many megs.

Further, almost _everyone_ who needs to use this _d version already has MSVC
and already has the Python sources.  So building there own is trivial.

Further, "all 4 combinations" doesnt work.  As you found out painfully, is
it _critical_ that all Python systems share the same C runtime library.
This is the whole point of the _d fiasco - to prevent the mixing and
matching.

We obviously need to document this process better - Im not sure where tho -
what documentation did you use to get this far?

It is also worth noting that Gordon pointed this out to you before this
particular thread, and you still had the problem.  Im not sure that
documenting it would be effective in all cases.

> Don't get me wrong; I think
>it's a great service to provide the pre-compiled package. I just want to

Well, FWIW, I will be making these _d versions (and all the win32 extensions
_d versions) available in a seperate .zip file as a Registered User benefit
(http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/registration).  I havent started
this particular benefit yet tho.

Mark.