strptime: unpleasant surprise (py 1.5.2 on Linux)

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat Jul 24 20:16:55 EDT 1999

Hi, Folks--

I'm working on some date-related functions, and wanted to see what
kind of exception 'strptime' would raise if I fed it a European-style
date string with a US format. But instead of an exception, I get:

>>> import time
>>> time.strptime('31/7/99', '%x')  # US locale, wants D/M/Y
Segmentation fault (core import)

>>> dumped DateTime                 # mxDateTime version
>>> DateTime.strptime('31/7/99', '%x')
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Surely this isn't what we want, is it? Has anyone else noticed this
behavior?

I'm running Python 1.5.2 on RedHat Linux 5.1 (2.0.34 kernel with glibc
2.0.7).

Matt Gushee
Portland, Maine, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com