Python Performance

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Jul 26 12:19:59 EDT 1999

Markus Kohler <markusk at bidra241.bbn.hp.com> wrote:
> My guess is that what calling speed makes slow on Python are all those
> different kinds of ways to call the same function.
> Examples are default arguments and named arguments.
> IHMO these features may save some typing but they are not worth
> sacrifying performance nor do they help increasing readability of the
> code.

really?  back in the 1.2 days, you had to write:

    button = Button(frame, {"text": "QUIT", "fg": "red", "command": frame.quit})
    button.pack({"side": LEFT})

instead of:

    button = Button(frame, text="QUIT", fg="red", command=frame.quit)
    button.pack(side=LEFT)

are you sure you find the first one being easier
to read?

on the other hand, 1.2 was much slower than the
current releases.  go figure...

</F>