Python and Red Hat Linux 6

Thomas Bryan tbryan at arlut.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 28 10:22:39 EDT 1999

Michael Hudson wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Thomas Bryan wrote:
>
> > Kranio wrote:
> >
> > > I have the same problem and this solution won't works. If you type
> > >
> > > $ file.py
> > > bash: ./file.py : Command not found
> >
> > file.py is not in your PATH and isn't found.
> >

> No, no, that would make sense; you get an error like this if file.py is
> found and is executable and has a first line of the form
>
> #!/path/to/executable
>
> and /path/to/executable doesn't exist.

I think I may have misread the post and answered somewhat hastily.
The point I was trying to make was:
1. Make sure the file containing the python script is in your PATH
   or supply an absolute path to that file.
2. Make sure the #!/path/to/executable actually points to the correct
   executable.
3. Make sure the file containing the python script is executable.

On my Red Hat 6.0 system, problems #1 and #2 report an identical
error message.  I lost track of the thread, but I meant to suggest
that if one has already checked #2, then he should also check #2.

the-gremlins-have-been-modifying-my-PATH-ly yours
Tom