Python GUIs: Abandoning TkInter and welcoming wxPython?

Mike C. Fletcher Mike.C..Fletcher at p98.f112.n480.z2.fidonet.org
Fri Jul 2 13:29:17 EDT 1999

From: "Mike C. Fletcher" <mfletch at vrtelecom.com>

None of the demonstrations I've seen are using a "grid" method.  There is
one which looks similar, the "header" demo, but that is a set of "list"
widgets standing next to each other and a sitting below a header widget.  To
create a real grid, you would need to do some (likely C++) programming.  You
would probably also want to make such thing allow for editing in-field, and
have the capability of updating directly from an application table to the
on-screen representation.  It should be possible to create such a thing in
Python by dropping data into a matrix of entry fields in response to
scrolling/moving etc., but a grid object generally wants a high-performance
solution with all sorts of funky options.

A "rich" text editor is evident in the Fox IDE, FXEditor, a separate project
from the Core Fox libraries, though I have not yet downloaded that project
to test it.  Something similar should likely become part of a base Fox
distribution if it is to become a widely deployed Python GUI.

Fox has a basic GUI editor under development (it is a separate project
again), though my tests with it so far have been unsuccessful, as the
application exits silently about every-other time I click on a widget.

Neither tkinter nor Fox has any perceptible "slowness" on my system, so I
cannot comment in that direction.

I'm continuing my experiments, will continue to report as time permits.

Enjoy,
Mike

news:377BF583.6846FBF9 at quasar.ipa.nw.ru...