Python suitability questions

Jason Maskell jmaskell at saskpublishers.sk.ca
Tue Jul 20 12:28:41 EDT 1999

Well, after a day or two of reading lots of newsgroup posts and
documentation, I'm still not quite certain if Python is suitable for the
project I have in mind. I'm rather reluctant to jump in and start fiddling
with it without having some idea whether it's what I'm looking for or not. A
quick outline of the project:

A collectible card game framework. As some may know, CCG's are rather
complex, so to get the flexibility I need, I'm going to need to have the
non-interface/graphics stuff be a scripting language. What I was envisioning
was a model where all cards had base classes that were derived for specific
cards (for the Magic enabled: Swamps and Forests would both be derivations
of Basic Lands). And of course I need some sort of internal messaging
system, and the scripting language has to be comfortable being completely
embedded in my C++ framework, and having really no system access at all. I
know that Python can handle the OO stuff, but is there any kind of internal
object messaging, or do I roll my own? How flexible can I lay out my source,
is it as stiff as say, C?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm fairly convinced that it's what I'm
looking for, I just need some outside confirmation. ;>

Jason