Python documentation available as ZIP files

Alexander V. Voinov avv at quasar.ipa.nw.ru
Sat Jul 24 16:33:11 EDT 1999

Gordon McMillan wrote:

> Most likely, you're not downloading properly <wink>. You're supposed
> to use a browser, and let it choose a sensible name like
> RockyAndBullWinkle_tar.gz.
>
> > If you want to preach the benefits of .tar.gz I'd reccomend
> > preaching about .tar.bz2... And that way you can try educating lots
> > of Unix users as well as the Windows gang <wink>.
>
> Tee hee. Use it on my Linux box. Someone pointed me to a Windows
> port. The readme says "can't run in a 16 bit subsystem", but the port
> *is* an MSDOS executable (not a 32 bit console executable). It did
> manage to decompress, but mangled file names beyond recognition.

There is nothing better is that case than to have a choice. Even
ftp://ftp.kernel.*.org present both .gz and .bz2. My experience is that
bzip2 is extremely good for text files, but for some sorts of binary
files (thousands of double's written by a Fortran program) bzip2 is even
worse than zip. I even planned to send such a package to the maintainer
of bzip2, but got too lazy...

Alexander