Python Code Repository?

Jesse D. Sightler jsight at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 11 15:40:52 EDT 1999

Will Ware wrote:

> jam (jam at newimage.com) wrote:
> : I don't think anything as nice as CPAN exists for python ...
> : I know enough about python and cgi scripting and sql databases to come
> : up with something pretty quick, and all we'd need is submissions. there
> : might already be some examples of code snippets out on the net in various
> : places..
> : does anyone have any further suggestions or ideas on how we can get this
> : rolling?
>
> There is alot of merit to the idea, and probably if you implement it,
> getting contributions won't be a problem. It might be worthwhile to
> set up a voting system that allows people to rate contributions for
> interesting-ness. You might look at the slashdot.org moderation scheme,
> that guy has thought long and hard about the problem of rating content
> in a way that is both fair and informative.

The pyPit - http://www.biddin.com/pyPit/

Ok, I've put up a submission page for a CPAN style system on my site.
:-)  I've decided at least in the short-term that I will use a Gadfly
database for the actual libraries, and will maintain mirrors of all
submitted software locally.  There will probably be "Freshmeat-style"
product pages and comments pages in the future, but that will have to
wait.  Wait on me to code them that is.  :-)

Anyway, the current stuff is very simplistic, but if you guys start
submitting things, I'll start taking them.  Also, if anyone has a Python
project, but needs webspace, just let me know.  I have a fairly good bit
of extra space right now, so I should be able to take quite a few.  :)

Enjoy!

--
Jesse D. Sightler

"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."
      - Chinese Proverb