[PSA MEMBERS] Python Conferences

Mark Hammond MHammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Jul 26 19:53:43 EDT 1999

Ivan Van Laningham wrote in message <3798845C.BC16931A at callware.com>...

>makes me wonder how many others are in the same boat as I am. ...  And
>as far as international conferences go, I would not be able to attend
>conferences outside continental North America, on a cost basis alone.
>
>I'm sorry to be such a grump; it's just that I think if fees were lower
>it might attract interesting contributors and fresh young minds to
>Python cons, and that would be good for Python.  But maybe you're right,
>the flight/hotel may well outweigh the fees.

Maybe you really just want a local Users Group.  It is important that at
least some Python conferences attract international attendees, otherwise you
will end up with a North America Python Workshop - in no-ones interest,
include the North Americans.

I certainly would not pay around $2000 in airfares and accomodation to
attend a $40.00 conference (assuming the facilities were worth the $40.00,
and not subsidised elsewhere)

In other words, there are Python users all over the world in the same
position as you - except you are lucky in that the International Python
Conferences are hosted in North America.  I would consider it unfair in the
extreme to cater for the "poor" North American Python user without catering
for the poor international user.  Maybe some funds would be better spend on
CD or Video of the proceedings so that people who can not afford to attend
could still view it, whereever they happen to reside.  Thus, for the $40.00,
both you _and_ the International Python user, could get value for money.

All due respect, but in my opinion, it is the people who _can_ afford the
existing conferences that are important to Python obtaining mainstream
acceptance.  We need company sponsored individuals and professional
consultants to arrive, and spread the Python word.  It is often these people
that seed Python into interesting places, rather than the people who would
attend $40.00 conferences hosted in dormitories.

Mark.