Win32: python-network-installation?

Holger Jannsen holger at phoenix-edv.netzservice.de
Mon Jul 12 12:25:21 EDT 1999

Hi Mark,

Mark Hammond answered:

> Holger Jannsen wrote in message
> <37835B30.BFCC4A05 at phoenix-edv.netzservice.de>...
>
> >To reach Python-dlls I copied the dlls '\WinNT\System32\PythonCOM15.dll'
> >and '\WINNT\System32\Python15.dll' to a directory '\\as1\python\dll'
> >onto the server.
>
> Dont forget pywintypes15.dll.

Ouch, yeah! Thanx;-)

> >3)only '\\as1\python\pythonwin\pythonwin.exe' occurs a
> > 'Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library'-RuntimeError:
> > Program: \\as1\python\pythonwin\pythonwin.exe
> > abnormal program termination
> >
> >What do you think, does I forget any dll? Why does that error (3)
> >occur? (Perhaps I need that pythonwin.exe to check some
> >scripts when sitting at a client...?!)
>
> That error normally means 2 Python DLLs were found.  My guess is either
> pythoncom15.dll or pywintypes15.dll.

It was because of pywintypes15.dll missing. Now I only get module
'win32ui.pyd' missing. Check that tomorrow, I think...

> The more I think about it, the problem is almost certainly the fact that
> win32api.pyd, win32ui.pyd etc all use pywintypes15.dll - not as a Python
> module, but as a regular DLL.  So assuming you still have pywintypes15.dll
> in your system directory, the DLL load process will be:
>
> * Python does "import win32api" - part of the NT process finds and loads
> pywintypes15.dll, probably from the system directory.
> * Python does "import pywintypes" - Python searches for Pywintypes, consults
> the registry and finds it listed somewhere else.  Python loads this DLL.
>
> Things then go boom very quickly.
>
> I would put all the DLLs (not necessarily .pyds, but python15.dll,
> pywintypes15.dll, pythoncom15.dll) and all the .EXEs (python.exe,
> pythonw.exe and pythonwin.exe) into the same directory.  Then seek out and
> destroy all other copies of these files from your machine.
>
> >Are there other (better) ways to get a network installation for
> Win32-Clients?
>
> Nope, but feel free to help :-)

I think to make that easy registry-changes is a good way..;-)
Don't like to spent more time than usual on it.

> >[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Python\Python for Win32]
> ALL of these HKCU\Software\Python\Python for Win32" entries should go.  the
> installer doesnt create them - Pythonwin does when it shuts down for the
> first time.  Unless there are specific preferences you want to default for
> these users, dont add them.

Ok. Checked!

> >[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Python.File\AutoRegister]
> >@="\\\\as1\\python\\DLL\\PythonCOM15.dll"
>
> Dunno where this came from - the installer didnt add it.

Mmmh. Will check tomorrow...

> >[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\1.5]
>
> You are missing all the important ones - PythonPath and Modules keys are
> critical for the win32 extensions to work.

Yes, could be. It was just a fast run. Have to look some further...

> Note the installer sources are on my starship page (in the "buildtools"
> archive).

Mmmh? Loaded all sources. Couldn't find a special souce/install-file where
I could take all registry-items from.;-(

> Also note you can become a registered user :-)
> http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/registration

;-))I'm a poor programmer...;-))))

Ciao,
Holger