DOC BUG: os.chdir() (was Re: Simple Qu: Changing directory)

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Sat Jul 10 23:12:50 EDT 1999

First of all, please try to follow proper netiquette for posting.  Your
lines should be 72 characters or less, and you should put your comments
after the quoted material:

In article <3787FB51.12FE0048 at ssec.wisc.edu>,
Nick Bower  <nick.bower at ssec.wisc.edu> wrote:

>yeah, that's what i originally thought. sure enough there were some
>updates in the os documentation, but not os.chdir. it's something that
>would be really helpfull if anyone linked to the documentation sees
>this.

Ah, I see what the problem is.  I went to the index inside the library
reference to make sure os.chdir() was documented, but didn't check to
see *where* it was documented.  Sure enough, it's documented inside the
"Process Parameters" section of os (6.1.1), rather than in the "Files
and Directories" section.

Fred, here's the URL that needs to be fixed:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/os-procinfo.html

I think I understand how it happened: os.getcwd() is (probably
rightfully) documented there, so someone thought os.chdir() belonged
there, too.  AFAICT, that's the only mistake in that area of the docs,
though I could make a case that os.getcwd() should be moved (or at least
have a pointer in "F&D").
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6  (if you want to know, do some research)