HELP: moving Python Distribution

rceci at adams.com rceci at adams.com
Tue Jul 6 12:10:43 EDT 1999

Hello,

I have a question about relocating a python distribution (1.5.1) that
was built and installed in the normal area ( i.e. prefix=/usr/local ).

I have moved the bin/*, include/python1.5/* and lib/python1.5/* to a NFS
mount that will support multiple architectures, e.g.:

bin/python -> $mount_pnt/python/bin/$ARCH/python1.5/python
include/python1.5/* -> $mount_pnt/python/include/$ARCH/python1.5/*
lib/python1.5/* ->  $mount_pnt/python/lib/$ARCH/python1.5/*

I have set up PYTHONHOME and PYTHONPATH to support this.  When I run
python on the build machine, everything works as planned.  When I tag
the "-v" on to python, I can see the expected messages that show the
built-in modules being loaded from my NFS "$mount_pnt" rather that the
build directory "/usr/local".  Thats great.  But when I log onto another
system of identical architecture ( in this case both machines are IRIX
6.4 MIPS4 systems), I get:

Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]

And yet the "-v" still prints it is loading from the $mount_pnt.  This
second system does not have python installed in "/usr/local..." at all.
I am guessing that specifiying PYTHONHOME/PYTHONPATH works, but the
iterpreter will still print warnings if it cannot find python runtimes
under the original exec prefix location.  Is there a way to suppress
these warnings or fix them in the source?

Thanks

Rob Cecil
rceci at adams.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/