ANN: Stackless Python 0.3

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 13 02:58:35 EDT 1999

Christian Tismer <tismer at appliedbiometrics.com> writes:

> ANNOUNCING:
>
>                Stackless Python 0.3
>            A Python Implementation Which
>              Does Not Use The C Stack
>
> What is it?
> A plugin-replacement for core Python.
> It should run any program which runs under Python 1.5.2 .
> But it does not need space on the C stack.

Very nice, but

Python 1.5.42a2 (#5, Jul 13 1999, 07:42:11)  [GCC egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)] on linux2
>>> l=range(10)
>>> l.reverse()
>>> apply(l.sort,())
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
SystemError: error return without exception set
>>> l
[0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]

apply isn't totally hosed; it works for Python functions (I think) but
not for builtins.

This causes lots of make test to fail, though not test_builtin,
helpfully.

I've had a poke through the source, but don't have the time just now
to delve into its inner workings. I'll trace it with gdb sometime.

HTH
Michael

PS: To get it to compile I had to remove "static" from in front of
    PyFrame_FiniChainFunc * PyFrame_FiniChain = NULL;
in Objects/frameobject.c.