Why is tcl broken?

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Thu Jun 17 01:50:38 EDT 1999

Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at compaq.com> writes:
| In my experience, I find that I can do with Python everything
| that Tcl was designed for, do it more easily, do a lot
| more besides, and have more fun in the process. I believe
| the reason for this is rooted in some fundamental design
| features of these languages, which I have sketched above.
| I think that's about as close as one can get to providing
| an objective argument as to whether one language is better
| than another for a given purpose.

How about Expect as an example?  I don't mean to criticize the
existing Python Expect implementation(s), have no idea where the
state of the art is on that.  I just remember trying to think of
a natural Python idiom that would replace the "expect" verb's case
switch flow of control.

My experience is more or less the same as yours - rewrote Tcl
software in Python and was henceforth a convert.  But I think
Tcl is syntactically more adaptable, where Python kind of makes
a virtue of its fixed ways.

	donn at u.washington.edu