dict vs kjBuckets vs ???

MK mark_removethis_ at _removethis_btweng.krakow.pl
Thu Jun 10 13:59:39 EDT 1999

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 22:27:39 -0400, "Tim Peters"
<tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:
>>  A million?

>No.

>It all depends on how much memory you have and how well the hash function is
>working.  Note that dicts work hard to "randomize" the addresses at which
>they store keys, so memory locality can be terrible.  But if there's no
>pattern to customer ID accesses, locality would be terrible in a 1M array
>too.

In some book on algorithms I've read that after inserting limited
number of items performance of operating on hash tables
drops dramatically. I plan to write a program that would store
lots (in range of 10M or even more) of relatively small objects
(a few hundred bytes at most), so what do you think I should use? I
thought about dictionaries, kjBuckets, or maybe even library called
Metakit for Python
(http://www.equi4.com/metakit/info/README-Python.html).

what-do-you-think-ly y'rs

Reality is something that does not disappear after
you cease believing in it - VALIS, Philip K. Dick