New release of mmapfile module

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Thu Jun 17 11:36:42 EDT 1999

A new release of the mmapfile module is available from:

  ftp://starship.python.net/pub/crew/amk/new/mmapfilemodule.c

A simple test program is at:
  ftp://starship.python.net/pub/crew/amk/new/mmapdemo.py

The module is based on Sam Rushing's code for Win32, and has been
hacked to work on Unix as well.  It allows treating a chunk of a file
as a sequence object that behaves mostly like a mutable string; for
example, you can open a file, map a large chunk of it, and then use
the string and re modules to search through it.

It's been suggested that mmapfile be added to the distribution, and
before doing that I'd like to get the portability kinks ironed out --
hence this new release.  Please try it and let me know if there are
compilation problems on your favorite Unix variant.  If other OSes
such as MacOS, BeOS, or whatever, also support memory-mapped files
through another mechanism, patches would be welcome.

All I want is the answer to one simple question before I run screaming back to
the bughouse. Is this real or isn't it?
    -- Cliff Steele in DOOM PATROL #21