proposal: new mailing list

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Tue Jun 1 11:17:01 EDT 1999

Hi All--

"Max M. Stalnaker" wrote:

> I have taught some programming classes.  It seems to me python is a good
> choice for an introductory CS class since it has minimal key words, a
> clean syntax, and lots of CS structures available.  It also has good
> object orientation..  No texts, though.
>
> It is also starting to attract a little attention from non-programmers
> who want to be programmers.  It seems to me, in an evangelical mode,
> that it is worthwhile addressing their needs, which are different than
> the typical programmer who is discovering Python.  The newsgroup may not
> be appropriate for these people?  Maybe python.org should start a
> mailing list just for them?  Python-eggs?
>
> Over time, this mailing list, if archived, would develop a good
> reference set for the clientele.   The clientele would be partially
> self-servicing.
>
> Mandate:
>
> Discussion of programming issues and techniques in Python for people for
> whom Python is a first programming language.

[N.B.:  I've not finished reading all of my email this morning, so have
undoubtedly missed some others' replies on this topic.]

1)  We already have the Python Tutor mailing list, which really is aimed
at people just getting started with Python.  Too many Python lists would
dilute our energies, I think.

2)  Re ``no texts, though.''  That is a situation which I am attempting
to remedy.  I've just signed a contract with SAMS to write _Teach
Yourself Python in 24 Hours_.  I am deliberately aiming the book at
people who do not know how to program, as I believe that Python is a
very nearly ideal first programming language.  The existing books are
targetted at those who know at least something about programming, but
mine will be for the true programming beginner.

Naturally, I can't speak to SAMS' scheduling or production, so do not
take what I say here as legally binding in any way (I disclaim
everything!), but my feeling is that the book *might* be in the stores
this year.

<yet-more-totally-shameless-self-promotion>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70