"The Python Way"

Will Ware wware-nospam at world.std.com
Sun Jun 6 21:55:23 EDT 1999

Patrick Phalen (pphalen at teleo.net) wrote:
: Would both Guido and TIm Peters be willing to collaborate on a short
: paper ...
: What I have in mind is sort of a very brief Strunk-&-White-like
: "Elements of Style" for Python, which suggests fundamental idiomatic
: recommendations for operating within the spirit of the language.

In the turmoil following this proposal, its actual usefulness may have
been overlooked. It sounds to me like a great idea. I'm sure I could
learn much stylistically from people who've been using Python for a
long time and have been involved in its design. Just as I might hope
to make myself a better C/Unix programmer by reading any thoughts that
Kernighan/Ritchie/Pike/etc might feel like passing along. Think of it
not as "damage control to keep out the barbarians" but rather as the
well-informed recommendations of some of the world's most skillful
Python programmers (assuming they agree to do it).