Why is tcl broken?

David Thornley thornley at visi.com
Wed Jun 16 17:27:52 EDT 1999

In article <rnbn1y2n5jk.fsf at nortelnetworks.com>,
Chris Ebenezer  <chriseb at nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

>Fernando Mato Mira <matomira at iname.com> writes:
>: of folks end up using one or another GNU tool. As a side effect, some
>: newcomers to Tk that would have normally used tcl could end up going
>: the STk way (unfortunately, STk is not publicized enough). Things like
>: Kawa also increase the feel of security regarding code reusability.
>: And some of those people will end up wanting to write full-fledged
>
>Why use TK at all ?  Once you are using scheme anyway there are nicer
>widget toolkits to use (from a point of view of more "normal" looking
>toolkits that don't suffer from color allocation problems),  there are
>bindings for guile and gtk and guile and Qt.

The attraction, to me, would be that Tk is a free, open-source
graphics environment that will run on Unix with X-Windows, the
Macintosh, and Microsoft Windows.  CLIM is commercial, Garnet last
I looked didn't run on Microsoft Windows, and it looks to me like
I should be able to get Macintosh Common Lisp communicating with
Tk through Tcl without *that* much work.

I know little of this Qt animal.  Is it free?  Is it open source?
Does it run on the Macintosh?  Is it easy to set up an interface with?

--
David H. Thornley                        | If you want my opinion, ask.
david at thornley.net                       | If you don't, flee.