"Programming Python" still worthwhile?

Mark Lutz lutz at rmi.net
Fri Jun 11 14:07:42 EDT 1999

Curtis Yanko <cmyanko at bigfoot.com> writes:

> Isn't PP due for 2nd edition soon?

Frank Willison, O'Reilly's editor-in-chief, posted a
few words on this subject at:

    http://www.oreilly.com/frank/python.html

An update will happen, but we're not yet sure about
the timing.  Given the way publishing works, even if an
update was started today, it probably wouldn't show up
until early 2000 at best.  Depending on 2.0's release,
that could make the update out of date in a year or less.

Given that, I doubt a 2nd edition will appear very soon.
OTOH, I may move up the schedule if 2.0 turns out to be
far away or mostly compatible with 1.6.  I may also move
it up if I get bored with between-books slacking, but that
seems much less likely ;-).

For the time being, I maintain a list of recent Python
changes--which are mostly minor, in terms of the core
language--at my web site:

    http://rmi.net/~lutz/errata-python-changes.html

Consider it a new appendix.

--Mark Lutz  (http://rmi.net/~lutz)