Why is tcl broken?

Cameron Laird claird at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Thu Jun 10 12:00:40 EDT 1999

In article <375FD854.2314D886 at iname.com>,
Fernando Mato Mira  <matomira at iname.com> wrote:
			.
			.
			.
>> >If so, does speed ever become an issue? I assume that Tk works well
>> Rarely.  Much less often than the uninitiated
>> suspect.
>
>That's the impression I have. But then, what are those `less often' cases?
>(Besides trying to do silly things, like writing a fast-paced  video game in Tk)
			.
			.
			.
Tk's bad at pixel-oriented graphics; its [canvas]
is designed for higher-order manipulations (and
can be breathtakingly effective for many inter-
esting tasks).  People coming from other paradigms
can usually find ways to misuse Tk into sluggish-
ness.  The Unicode stuff in 8.1 is still being
shaken down; severe performance issues have turned
up there, but plenty of fixes are available and
are gradually being worked into the core.

If you're doing things that fit well in [canvas]es
and [text]s, you'll go far with Tk.  Several
widgets that moderns expect are *not* available
in the standard core, and some of the extensions
that provide them are not high in performance.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird at NeoSoft.com      +1 281 996 8546 FAX