Python GUIs: Abandoning TkInter and welcoming wxPython?

Vadim Zeitlin zeitlin at seth.lpthe.jussieu.fr
Sat Jun 26 17:37:12 EDT 1999

 Hello all,

 I've been reading with a lot of interest the messages in this thread and I'd
like to contribute to it from a different point of view - not as a Python
programmer, but as a C++ programmer working on wxWindows development.

 While I don't think wxPython can replace TkInter as a de-facto GUI standard
for Python I still think that it has several advantages compared to TkInter.
Instead of saying how much better, prettier, faster (this one has really made
me smile, BTW: I don't think wxWin is currently very fast, if it has been
cited as its advantage it must really mean that TkInter is extremely slow. But
we're working on performance problems too...) - instead, I'd just like to say
that unlike probably any other GUI toolkit, wxWindows developers are
interested in making their toolkit useful to the Python community. I don't
speak only about Robin Dunn, of course, who developed wxPython, but about
"core" wxWindows developers as well.

 This won't go as far as making wxWin less MFC like just to please folks who
hate MFC (but then, except for the idea of event handlers which I believe is
quite elegant I don't think wxWindows resembles much to MFC nowadays), but
adding new features which lack in wxWin compared to TkInter, for example, or
improving the performance is certainly in the realm of possible.

 TkInter has, for the moment, several advantages compared to wxWindows (it
would be nice if someone did the comparison of 2 toolkits - I'm afraid I don't
know TkInter well enough to do it), but we're working hard to change this and
I sincerely believe that wxWin will have all the features we still miss and
which are present in TkInter really soon (an advanced text widget and
integrated HTML viewer are in alpha and beta stage; image support in wxWin
already includes GIF/JPEG/PNG/BMP/XPM; multimedia classes are waiting to
be integrated in the main distribution; the grid control is being actively
worked on by several people right now).

 Best regards,
VZ