High performance Python on NT

Cameron Laird claird at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Fri Jun 11 00:41:41 EDT 1999

In article <000301beb3b7$4f973810$6eba0ac8 at kuarajy.infosys.com.ar>,
Bruno Mattarollo <bmatt at acm.org> wrote:
>Hi!
>
>	I am about to start a project where I will need to do some high performance
>Web CGI scripts on WinNT ... I have no choice ... I know it's not the best
>combination. It's not my decision ;-) I am looking for some advice. Is it
>better if I use some kind of Active Python Scripting Page (ASP but with
>Python)? Or just doing CGI with threads it will be fine... ?
>
>	I know this is a very vague question... I just want to know if someone had
>to take a similar decision... The app I will be doing should support several
>hundred users connecting to the Web server and doing some serious CGI
>activity ... Almost all hits that the server will receive will be scripts.
>The hardware is no problem in this case... When can scale up to Quad PII
>Xeon with 1GB RAM ... U2W SCSI discs...
>
>	I know exactly what to do in a UNIX env... but I am not sure of the
>decision to take regarding win32...
			.
			.
			.
ASP is likely to perform a lot better than CGI in
the situation you describe.

It depends on details, though.  It's possible that
there will be enough constraints elsewhere in your
system that users won't notice the difference.  If
CGI is much easier for you, start with that.

I don't understand "CGI with threads".  I suspect
there's a misconception, or at least a vocabulary
mismatch, afoot.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird at NeoSoft.com      +1 281 996 8546 FAX