fork()

Graham Matthews graham at sloth.math.uga.edu
Wed Jun 9 14:22:57 EDT 1999

{Graham]
> But the reality is that copying memory can in fact speed applications
> up! Think about locality of reference after you have copied all live
> blocks to the start of memory.
Tim Peters (tim_one at email.msn.com) wrote:
: LOR is an unrelated issue, and harder to analyze.  Yes, copying can speed
: applications.  It can also slow them.  "Although copying garbage collectors
: have predominated in the past, recent studies suggest that the choice
: between mark-sweep and copying garbage collection may well depend as much on
: the behavior of the client program as on the inherent properties of the
: garbage collection algorithm" [Jones & Lins, "Garbage Collection", Wiley,
: 1996].  The hoary old theoretical arguments really aren't worth crap in this
: field <0.5 wink>.

Which "hoary old theoretical arguments" are you talking about Tim.
I said "copying memory *can* speed applications up". That is an
observable reality. Where are the hoary theoretical arguments? Or
is this just more of the same old bluff and bluster arguing.

graham
--
           As you grow up and leave the playground
       where you kissed your prince and found your frog