Python 2.0

Hans Nowak ivnowa at hvision.nl
Fri Jun 4 17:27:13 EDT 1999

On 4 Jun 99, Kumar Balachandran wrote:

> Here is some useful evangelizing (methinks). One of the irritating things about
> Python is the use of whitespace in syntax. Agreed, the code is
> readable without parentheses or braces, but why not have optional
> syntactic sugar such as
>
> if
> elif
> else
> fi
>
> def
> fed
>

> while
> elihw or wend
>

> for
> rof
>
> etc. It makes the language more elegant. When I see code using
> indentation or blank likes to achieve blocking of constructs, it
> reminds me of an old language (FORTRAN I think it was called:-).

If you think it's more elegant, why not try things like this:

if blahblah:
    do_this()
    do_that()
#fi

for x in my_sequence:
    print x
    print booze.append(x)
#rof

Or use #endif, #endfor, etc. People have even "implemented" curly
braces this way. It's as optional as you can get, and it really
doesn't require a syntax change.

Veel liefs,

--Hans Nowak (ivnowa at hvision.nl)
Homepage: http://fly.to/zephyrfalcon