Python GUIs: Abandoning TkInter and welcoming wxPython?

Michael P. Reilly arcege at shore.net
Fri Jun 25 16:34:37 EDT 1999

Zigron <zigron at jps.net> wrote:
: Kevin Dahlhausen <morse at harborcom.net> wrote in message
: news:3773c3a0.102825445 at news.oh.verio.com...
:> >I'd like some discussion on whether or not it is a good idea to
:> >abandon TkInter, before it gets too widely used, and instead adopt
:> >wxPython as the primary GUI framework for Python.

:     I'm thinking this is too late, actually. :) From my understanding, its
: the de-facto standard or whatever, and plenty of people use it already.
: Not that that's a good thing.. I find it rather unpleasant that the de-facto
: GUI for Python requires you to install a /different/ scripting language
: just to run,.. and, does seem to be rather slower then wxPython from the
: uses i've had for both... which doesn't surprise me, since Tkinter /does/
: have to run through a second scripting-interpreter and all.

How is this different from requiring you to install two additional
graphical packages (on UNIX), which aren't as mature (there is little
support for the more mature wxMotif according to the literature), as
well-used or as concise.  And Tkinter only requires that you install
libraries (with embedded interpreter engines), not the interpreters
themselves.

But.. the argument over (these two) GUIs is not exactly a valid one.
Tkinter was written using the Tcl interface not the Tk/C API.  If
Tkinter was rewritten to use the C API, it probably wouldn't be slower
than wxPython.  In fact, since wxPython has to go thru extra layers, it
would probably be slower (Tk/C is written on the native API on all the
platforms).  Tcl/Tk is far more portable than wxWindows (as people in
this thread have attested to), which makes it a more widespread choice;
not necessarily a better one on all platforms, but a more mentioned
anyway.  Even if Tkinter was to use the Tk/C directly, the difference
in what is installed is still the same: Tkinter requires one package,
wxWindows requires one or more.

I wouldn't care if wxPython was standard, I would still use Tkinter,
better design philosophy, IMTO (most anything is better than
MFC-oriented systems, even curses).

There are other graphical packages for Python out there too, it would
be appropriate to contrast them as well.

Python is a good language, with good extension capabilities.  I think
there is enough room for more than one GUI package.

  -Arcege

Note for Guido: interfaces for Stdwin and Tk are already shipped with
Python; is it inappropriate to think about shipping wxPython with
Python?