Alien whitespace eating nanovirus strikes again!

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Thu Jun 3 23:02:48 EDT 1999

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 00:00:11 GMT, Aahz Maruch wrote:
>Mark Hammond <MHammond at skippinet.com.au> wrote:

>>Not to me.  If I make structural changes to C or other programs, I always
>>re-indent the reorganised code correctly, and I would bet that you do too.
>>In almost all languages block indenting is _very_ important to the human
>>reader.

>I think you misunderstood what I meant by "structural" (and I wasn't
>particularly clear -- my bad): if I need to add a quick "if" statement
>during debugging, I don't like having to make sure I clean up the block
>structure formatting.  With just about any other language, I don't have
>to.  I do, as I think I did make clear, clean up the formatting after
>the debugging.

I see what you're saying -- it's the difference between adding two braces
and adjusting spacing for a mess of things.  Yes, that is harder.

All I can do is appeal to two things: first, I don't debug messes, so I
don't allow my debug code to become a mess (in other words, I always fix
the indentation whether the language needs it or not); and second, I use
editors which handle indentation for me (Jed and IDLE).

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!