getstate, setstate and pickle

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Thu Jun 24 15:51:56 EDT 1999

I've written a class, instantiated, then pickled the instance.  At
first, pickling wouldn't work at all, but through some mix of
eliminating a class variable 'id' and adding __setstate__ and
__getstate__ methods it does dump (too soon to call it a pickle).

What I'm having trouble with is getting the load to match the dump.  I
lifted parts of the pickle module test code, and the dump == load part
fails, then my code falls apart, and then nothing works... (I'm in
California, so picking grapes is an option ;-)

I'm probably not using get/set state properly.  My instance should be
pickleable or I'd get an error there.

Any help or pointers to examples/docs appreciated.

--

Emile van Sebille
emile at fenx.com

NB:  Perhaps builtins could be honorably mentioned along with reserved
words in the documentation.  I'm now typing type(target) to get the
error as a result of my id problem above.  In time, I'll know them.  But
for now, it wasn't a pleasant bug to chase.