make clean bug in 1.5.2

Thomas Bryan tbryan at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 24 20:24:51 EDT 1999

Bill Janssen wrote:

> Running "make clean" seems to leave a couple of problematic files,
> SRC/libpython1.5.a, and getbuildinfo.o, which then cause problems
> when I try to "make" again.

After over an hour of utter confusion, I noticed the same thing
when I built Python 1.5.2.  Then I checked the Makefile.

Solution:
make clobber

My guess:
Since Python needs the build directory for tools like Freeze, you
don't want to take up space on your hard drive with all of the
object files in the build directory.  Thus, you can run make clean
to recover some disk space after a successful Python install.
Since the clean target was taken, the clobber target was given
the task of cleaning up between builds.

Maybe I'll add this to the FAQ since it's the third time I've seen it...