Python GUIs: Abandoning TkInter and welcoming wxPython?

Alexander V. Voinov avv at quasar.ipa.nw.ru
Wed Jun 30 16:36:13 EDT 1999

Lyle Johnson wrote:

> Just to add fuel to the fire, we now have a Python interface to FOX, a
> cross-platform GUI toolkit:
>
>     http://www.cfdrc.com/pub/FOX/fox.html
>
> The latest version of the Python wrappers can be picked up at:
>
>     ftp://ftp.cfdrc.com/pub/FOX/FXPy-0.99.42.tar.gz
>
> I don't know how the speed of FXPy would compare with some of the others
> mentioned (Tk, wxWindows, Qt, GTK, ...) but it would be worthwhile for
> some independent opinions.

It looks great. It seems "intuitively obvious" (for me, of course :-) both
in programming and in using (I mean keyboard handling, at least under
Windows). Yes, the principal question, I ask always when see a new GUI is:

IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO EVERYTHING WITHOUT MOUSE?

Gtk still fails to answer this positively. Qt-2.0 is very close to the
ideal, as I can see.

The only thing surprised me a bit: I failed to switch to a non-US keyboard
layout while in text entry field (window.py example). I run Windows NT 4.0,
SP4. I.e. the toolbar indicator said I'm in the required mode, but the
letters I entered were just those ABC-xyz... I can proceed without this in
getting started and evaluation, but it's necessary for any application I
would deliver to users.

Alexander