threads

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Jun 4 16:37:02 EDT 1999

Hrvoje Niksic writes:

> "Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us> writes:
>
> > You might be interesting in digging around for Greg Stein's
> > free-threading patches.  Greg did a lot of work, I think in the
> > Python 1.4 days, to remove the central interpreter lock and make all
> > the data structures and such thread safe.
>
> Why would I want to do that?

See that other thread.

> If Greg's patches haven't been applied
> to the base, surely mine would not be either.

As I recall, Greg's patches didn't make it because (1) they were late
and (2) they were slow. Guido has never issued an "over my dead body"
message on the subject, which considering how often it has come up,
could be considered expressing interest in the idea.

OTOH, if you don't feel strongly enough, or don't have the time, it
can wait for someone else.

- Gordon