[ANN] DejaGrabber 0.1 -- search Dejanews with Python

Neel Krishnaswami neelk at brick.cswv.com
Thu Jun 24 23:48:51 EDT 1999

If you'd like a convenient way of searching the DejaNews archive using
Python, I'm happy to present the DejaGrabber module. This is a module
to make searching Dejanews easier. There are two classes, DejaGrabber
and Article. I've tried to add a reasonable number of useful
docstrings, too.

The interface to DejaGrabber could probably use a bit of work. If I
ever use it enough to find out what the flaws are, I will fix
it. Patches are welcome. :)

Here's an example:
>>> from DejaGrabber import *
>>> d = DejaGrabber(group='comp.lang.python', author='Tim Peters')
>>> l = d.get_messages(4)
>>> print l
[99/06/23  30 comp.lang.python          RE: Python Exes!      Tim Peters
, 99/06/18  28 comp.lang.python RE: Newbie: Truth values (th      Tim Peters
, 99/06/18  28 comp.lang.python       RE: DATE ARITHMETIC      Tim Peters
, 99/06/18  28 comp.lang.python     RE: NameError Problem      Tim Peters
, 99/05/18  25 comp.lang.python     RE: while (a=b()) ...      Tim Peters
]

You can grab a copy at

http://www.sff.net/people/neelk/free-software/DejaGrabber.py

Neel