Python for large projects?

Jody Winston jody at ldgo.columbia.edu
Sun Jun 27 19:10:40 EDT 1999

    Janko> Jody Winston <jody at ldgo.columbia.edu> writes:
    >> I've used Python for three large distributed applications (each
    >> > 100k lines of Python).  The only other recommendation that I
    >> would add is to define interfaces to the code.  If this is done
    >> with a product like ILU or FNORB, you can then easily call the
    >> Python code from other languages.  In addition, you can replace
    >> critical sections with other languages if needed.
    >>
    Janko> I have thought about this as the perfect way to do ``data
    Janko> hiding'', publish only special interfaces for your
    Janko> data. Has this a significant overhead, if used on one
    Janko> machiene, or is it overkill just for this purpose :-)?

For my data, which are large arrays read from disk, the ILU program is
50% slower on a simple benchmark that just transfers the arrays from
one address space to another on the same machine.  The xml-rpc
program, which transfers the same data from a client to a server, is 2
times slower as the ILU program[1].

However both of these bechmarks, for my case, do not really mean
anything since the real code is compute bound.

To understand the impact of a distributed object system will have on
your design, you'll need to understand how you will access your data
and the possible bottlenecks.

Footnotes:
[1]  That's really amazing in my book since all of the xml-rpc data
is ASCII.

--
Jody Winston
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory