"Programming Python" still worthwhile?

Rick Robino see-sig at wavedivision.com
Tue Jun 8 22:05:58 EDT 1999

Greetings,

I've been watching this group for some time and just now getting warm to
Python. Looking at source examples has been great, but for completeness'
sake I'd like to get more of the "why" maybe found in a book. Since Python
is at 1.5.2 and people are talking about 2.0 as if it's around the corner,
I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice as to whether or
not "Programming Python" is useful, if the current edition is still
current, if I should wait for the "Learning Python", or if I should use
some other resources.

I expect to come up to speed fairly quickly and I'm just looking for
those fundamental insights into OOP and Python that can build up the
kind of inuition and understanding one needs in order to "get
comfortable" connecting/creating the dots. Currently I only program
small - medium programs in C and shell (Korn). Any sage pointers to
resources?

TIA,

--Rick
Rick Robino                                  rrobino at wavedivision.com