tkinter and events

Paul Stillwell paul at polariscomm.com
Thu Jun 10 18:56:48 EDT 1999

Ok, I am missing some critical piece of information so maybe someone out
there can help me.  I want to be able to click on an object on the canvas
and reference variables within that object, but I am not sure how to do it.
When I try it, I always get the values from the last object of that type
that I created.  For example, I have the following code:

from Tkinter import *
from Canvas import *

class MyTestObject:

    def __init__(self, Parent, Domain, State):
        self.Parent = Parent
        self.Domain = Domain
     self.State = State
     self.Canvas = Parent
     Distance = 5
     self.x = 370
     self.y = 30 + (Distance * Domain)
     self.Begx = self.x - 320
     self.Begy = self.y - 10
     self.Endx = self.x + 320
     self.Endy = self.y + 10
        self.Box = Rectangle(Parent, self.Begx, self.Begy, self.Endx,
self.Endy)
        self.text = CanvasText(Parent, self.x, self.y, text = "Domain = %x,
State = %s" % (Domain, State))
        self.Canvas.bind('<Double-1>', self.DoubleClickHandler)

    def DoubleClickHandler(self, event):
        print "Clicked on domain %x" % self.Domain

class Demo(Frame):

    def __init__(self, parent = None):
        Frame.__init__(self, parent)
        self.pack(fill = BOTH, expand = YES)
        self.Canvas = Canvas(self, width = "7.5i", height = "6i", background
= "white", scrollregion = (0, 0, "7.5i", "100i"))
        self.Canvas.ScrollY = Scrollbar(self, orient = VERTICAL)
        self.Canvas['yscrollcommand'] = self.Canvas.ScrollY.set
        self.Canvas.ScrollY['command'] = self.Canvas.yview
        self.Canvas.ScrollY.pack(side = RIGHT, fill = Y)
        self.Canvas.pack(side = RIGHT, fill = BOTH, expand = YES)

and I do the following at the Python command prompt (tester is the module I
created that has the above code):

Python 1.5.2 (#0, Apr 13 1999, 10:51:12) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> from tester import *
>>> root = Tk()
>>> app = Demo(root)
>>> o1 = MyTestObject(app.Canvas, 0x10, 50)
>>> o2 = MyTestObject(app.Canvas, 0x20, 70)

So, when I run the code and double click on o1, I get:

>>> Clicked on domain 20

which is the last object I created even though I double clicked on the first
object.  What am I doing wrong?

Please help!

Paul
paul at polariscomm.com