Why is tcl broken?

Juhani Rantanen misty at pao.fiba.tampere.fi
Thu Jun 17 02:16:55 EDT 1999

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 21:27:52 GMT, David Thornley <thornley at visi.com> wrote:
>I know little of this Qt animal.  Is it free?  Is it open source?
>Does it run on the Macintosh?  Is it easy to set up an interface with?

Qt will be soon licensed with an open-source license, though it will
be practically very restrictive (all changes must be distributed as
patches). Current version of Qt is not free software, and I am
surprised to find one who doesn't know about the flamewars... Try "qt
gtk free" in Altavista or Dejanews to find out:)

I also suggest looking at Gtk+ <http://www.gtk.org/> that is used in
GIMP (free Photoshop clone for Unix/Linux http://www.gimp.org/), Gnome
(a free desktop environment for GNU project http://www.gnome.org/) .
Gnome folks have made a version of Guile with Gtk and Gnome bindings,
but this is not very widely tested AFAIK, and some higher-level
interface would be preferable (though now we have C-level API mapped
to scheme, the higher-level interface could be written in scheme).

Gtk+ is available on Unix and Win32. Win32 support is not in the official
sources, but I even occasionally use a version of GIMP on Windows NT
and it is quite robust compared to some commercial programs on the
same operating system (though both Gtk+ and Gimp on that machine are
developer's versions from CVS).

--
Juhani Rantanen
Lähderanta 20 G 55 Espoo