[meta-sig] WHY are all those sigs ending??

Guido van Rossum guido at CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Mon Jun 14 15:24:38 EDT 1999

> I was very happy when I saw all thos SIGs, but they are all retiring? WHY?
> XML-sig, DB-sig, Doc-sig, String-sig: if it's because there isn't interest:
> I'm interested!

Ah, this happens twice a year.  In order to be able to recycle
inactive SIGs, we regularly determine a new expiration date for each
SIG.  Typically, the expiration date is about half a year in the
future.  At the expiration date, the SIG's archives are inspected.  If
the SIG has been comatose or dead since the expiration time was last
set, it is retired; otherwise, the expiration date is moved another 6
months.  Some SIGs (e.g. the META SIG, which should never be retired)
have different rules.

While some of the SIGs are a bit slow, none look comatose or dead at
the moment, so I propose to renew all SIGs expiring this month for
another half year.

Any objections?