List <-> news hosed again?

Guido van Rossum guido at CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Thu Jun 24 10:52:18 EDT 1999

> > [Guido]
> > > We're looking into this; uunet changed their configuration and we
> > > neglected to make a matching change.  It should be fixed now
> > > (presuming this message shows up on the uunet side of things).
[Tim]
> > Alas, don't think it worked -- DejaNews doesn't have your msg yet, nor my
> > ISP's (admittedly flaky) c.l.py feed.  Appears to have stopped working very
> > early AM (EDT) on 18-June-99.
[me]
> Indeed, it didn't work.  Inspection of the logs indicates that the
> uunet news software raises a "500 command not understood" error
> whenever our news server tries to upload anything; this suggests a
> serious version skew.  I think we may have to install a different
> version of the news software (unless it is caused by bogus data sent
> in a corrupted article that somehow upsets the command parser).

Hello, it's me again, interim webmaster :-)

Just like the previous time we experienced this, the uunet news server
mysteriously started accepting our posts again after several
complaints, *without* further action on our side.  Thanks to Tim for
alerting us to this problem and thanks to Roger & Stanley at CNRI for
taking action (even if that action only was a couple of mails and
phone calls to uunet :-).