Python 2.0

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Jun 3 17:13:24 EDT 1999

  FL> sure looks like the "community" thinks that changing the
  FL> language is more important that using it...

To the contrary, the community is too busy using Python to bother with
all these silly discussions about changing Python.  The fact that I'm
posting in this threads is... ummm... the exception that proves the
rule.

Most of the volume has been a vigorous but unenlightening back and
forth about garbage collection.  I've for one have concluded that
there have been enough papers written about garbage collection that,
for any particular argument against GC, there exists at least one
paper describing a system for which that argument doesn't apply.

Of course, none of that has anything to do with Python.  I'm tired of
hearing what GC can do in theory.  I'd be happy to hear about some
actual experience implementing a GC system for Python.  Otherwise,
let's put this on to bed.

Jeremy