fork()

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Fri Jun 11 00:55:58 EDT 1999

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Guido van Rossum wrote:

<snip/>
> ...this almost seems acceptable: in the formal semantics, objects
> that are part of cycles would live forever, and as an invisible
> optimization we recycle their memory anyway if we know they are
> unreachable.  (I've got the feeling that I've seen this rule before
> somewhere.)
<snip/>

No, that can't be. If we did, it were in Scheme, and after you put it in,
you'd be morally obliged to add full-fledged lambda, tail-recursion and
user visible continuations.

you-asked-for-it-ly y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka at geocities.com>.
QOTD: My own exit is more likely to be horizontal then perpendicular.