XML-toolkit for Windows - binaries available?

Sean Mc Grath digitome at iol.ie
Mon Jun 21 15:47:10 EDT 1999

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 02:51:07 GMT, borkman at usa.net (Lee Borkman) wrote:

>Thanks very much, but I'm afraid I'm still unsure.
>
>I have copied pyexpat.dll and sgmlop.dll to the DLLs directory
>
>I have modified the PythonPath to include:
>C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\xml-0.5.1
>and:
>C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\xml-0.5.1\expat\bin
>	(this is where xmlparse.dll lives)

Ah! I think this is part of your problem. the XML package
is a python module and uses commands like:-

	from xml.parsers import pyexpat

To get this to work you need the xml package to be in a
subdirectory called xml. I renamed my xml-0.5.1 to be
xml and put in beneath my main Python directory. i,e,
c:\program files\Python\xml

The directory "c:\program files\python" is in my PythonPath variable
and so "import xml.parsers" finds what it wants in
	c:\program files\Python\xml\parsers

>Now I have to edit  __init__.py to include sgmlop and pyexpat in the
>__all__ list, is that right?  Now which __init__.py would that be?  I
>assume it's C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\xml-0.5.1\__init__.py

The one to edit is the one in the parsers subdirectory.