Linking an Interpreter dynamically

Klaus Alexander Seistrup kas at maps.magnetic-ink.dk
Mon Jun 21 04:47:25 EDT 1999

Lloyd Weehuizen wrote:

> I was just wondering if it is possible to create a dynamically linkable
> python interpreter? I've looked in the docs, but can't seem to find
> anything, and "make sharedinstall" doesn't seem to give me any linkable
> libraries??

So what you want is a shared python library?  If so, I managed to do it
sometime back, although in a kludgy manner:

First I made sure that Python was compiled using gcc's -fPIC flag and then
I manually made a shared library out of the resulting libpython1.5.a using
the --whole-archive option along with whatever it takes to make a shared
library with gcc (-shared -Wl,-soname,...), and I ended up with a shared
libpython.so.1.5.x that I installed manually.

Sorry for the clumsy description but it's quite a while since I made the
experiment (which succeeded, I ended up with a python executable less than
3 kbytes in size dynamically linked to the shared python library).

Hope this helps you a bit...

  //Klaus

--