BiBTeX module?

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at ifi.uio.no
Sun Jun 20 07:02:32 EDT 1999

* Bernhard Reiter

| What do you mean with XML version?

I mean an XML vocabulary (or DTD, if you like) for marking up BibTeX
entries.

| Somebody has to write a good DTD first and then XML doesn't have
| TeX's typesetting capabilities.

That's true, but that's not what's interesting about XML either. The
point about XML is that you can describe the data (the references)
precisely, in a way that makes it easy to write software that works
with them.

As for the good DTD, anyone can write that. :)

| Often I find myself using them to really typeset the References
| precisely.

If that's the only think you ever do, then BibTeX is enough.

| If you want something like a .bib format in XML you might have to
| invent the needed typesetting rules, too.

No, all you need is to be able to convert back to .bib. The point is
that XML is easier to work with when you want to do something else
with your data than to typeset them.

--Lars M.