do anonymous pipes normally work on NT?

Georg Mischler schorsch at schorsch.com
Tue Jun 15 02:38:34 EDT 1999

Aahz Maruch wrote:
> Georg Mischler wrote:
> >
> >I simplified my class to the absolute minimum I could.  It now does
> >nothing but create three pipes, save the parent ends to self.xxx, and
> >create a process with the child ends of the pipes. After that it
tries
> >to write to the stdin pipe of the child, which goes without error,
and
> >tries to read from stdout, which blocks.
>
> How about sockets?

Because I don't feel like rewriting several dozen existing C programs
as provided by Radiance (radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/) just for this
purpose. It's not that I don't know about sockets. I use them in
situations when I want to run processes on remote hosts (distributed
rendering). But once I'm there, I need a simple way to just run
the existing stuff and get the results back by the simplest
means possible. That's exactly what anonymous pipes are there
for, and I'd *love* them to work as documented (or rather as I
understand the documentation... ;).

But thanks for the suggestion anyway :)

Have fun!

-schorsch