Python 2.0

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Jun 1 04:01:57 EDT 1999

Graham Matthews <graham at sloth.math.uga.edu> wrote:
> Gang Li (gangli at msn.com) wrote:
> : Python is a real programming language.  We should not turn it in to a Java
> : extension. I hate someone just want to take Python to Java mass and say 'me
> : too'.  Perl, Tcl/Tk, and Smalltalk have no plan to turn themselves in to a
> : Java extension.  Why Python?  If you love Jave to death, spent all your
> : time to help sun conquer the world. Don't mess with Python.
>
> You are envangelising (a not uncommon response when someone remotely
> criticises Python).

read his message again.  he's saying that Python
shouldn't be tied to Java.  sure looks like a tech-
nical argument to me.

if you want some numbers to support his argument,
take a look at GvR's Python poll from the latest
python conference:
http://www.foretec.com/python/workshops/1998-11/polls.html

10% of the audience used JPython today, for non-web
applications.  about the same amount used COM.

in other words, proposals to make Python dependent on
Java should be treated about as seriously as proposals to
make Python dependent on COM.  they're both available
on all major platforms (at least if you ignore those you
don't happen to use).  and they're both supported by
many other tools (at least if you ignore those I don't
happen to use). etc.

> Stop evangelising and start considering the technical
> issues involve (read (!) other posts for what those issues
> are).

exactly.  and since you seem to imply that you have con-
sidered those issues, maybe you should follow up on some
of the "non-envangelising" posts instead of miscrediting
people who don't happen to agree with you?

</F>